Pages

Tuesday 3 November 2015

Sugar Skull Make-Up!

    Last Thursdays make-up lesson we created a day of the dead inspired look! I was super excited for as I love the history around day of the dead festival, as it's a Mexican holiday celebrated throughout Mexico and is acknowledged around the world in other cultures. The holiday focuses on gathering family and friends to pray for and remember friends and family members who have died, and help support their spiritual journey.
    I started off by applying a white base to my model, I wanted to stay with a more traditional approach to my look than try and make it modern and then I got started with creating the eye sockets, which I drew large circles around the eyes and over the eyebrows and filled them in with a dark blue colour from the Super Colour palette from Charles Fox. I then used an orange shade from the same palette to create some contrast and drew on scallops around each socket then outlined in-between the socket and the scallops with a light blue shade just to tidy up my design, and then went and added a small decorative dots in each scallop to finish off the eyes. Sugar skulls are all about decorating the face, so the more little details you can fit in the better your sugar skull will look! I then started to focused on the lips, which started off with me using the black from the same Super Colour palette and carefully drew lines extending from the corners of the mouth then creating teeth lines over these extended lines and over the mouth, and to add further definition I added shading on the inside of the lip to create a bitten/spooky effect to my sugar skull. And finally I then went and added some further details like the nose, spiderweb and swirls around the face, again trying to get as much detail and design work into my sugar skull as possible.
    Looking back at my final design, I realise that I could have changed things up slightly to improve the overall look of my outcome as I feel like I could of done things differently. For example, the spiderweb on the forehead I feel looking back at it now that I could of made it look a lot more clean and sharper than what it ended up looking, as it looks very out of place like it wasn't meant to be there. Also the shape of the nose is another area of the make-up that I'm not too happy with, I feel like I could of made it more atomically correct but instead it looks more cartoonish. However there are some areas of this make-up look I do like! Like the eyes, out of the whole make-up look the eyes are the area I'm most proud of as I felt my line work was pretty good for some of first times in trying to do something fiddly, and also my symmetry work I felt for my first time in trying to achieve something like this was pretty good as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment